21 November 2013 (8pm)
Alice Tully Hall: the Juilliard String Quartet plays Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
30 October 2013
El Paso, TX: the Juilliard String Quartet performs Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
26 – 28 October 2013
Carmel, San Francisco, Los Angeles, CA: the Juilliard String Quartet performs Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
13 October 2013 (8pm)
Louisville, KY: the Juilliard String Quartet performs Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
11 October 2013 (8pm)
Indianapolis, IN: the Juilliard String Quartet gives world premiere of Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
31 August 2013
Jones begins Assistant Professorship at the University of South Carolina
September 2012 —August 2013
Jones in residency at the American Academy in Rome as Elliott Carter Rome Prize Fellow
1 August 2012
Jones is commissioned by the Juilliard String Quartet to write a 20-30 minute piece for their 2013-14 seasonRead More
Composer, conductor, and mandolinist Jesse Jones (b. 1978) is an American artist of wide-ranging tastes and influences. His music has been performed across North America, Europe, and Asia, and Mr. Jones has received numerous accolades as both a composer and performer. Most recently, he has been honored with the Elliott Carter Rome Prize in Composition from the American Academy in Rome, a Barlow Commission, the Susan and Ford Schumann Fellowship from the Aspen Music Festival and School, and the Charles Ives Scholarship from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.Read More
- The lone and level sands (2010), for sinfonietta.
- For a Faded Mind (2009-10), for solo violin, piano & strings, commissioned by violinist Joseph Lin & conductor Chris Kim.
- Threshold (2012), for tenor & sinfonietta, text in English by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Through the Veil (2010-11), for 3 amplified sopranos and wind ensemble.
- Unisono (2011), for violin, clarinet & piano, commissioned by Xak Bjerken for Mayfest 2011.
- Snippet Variations (2009), for clarinet, violin, cello & piano, written for the Aspen Music Festival and School.
- Piano Quintet (2006-7), for violin, viola, cello, double-bass & piano.
- Nocturne (2008), piano solo, ca. 10 minutes, premiered 3 April 2009 in Barnes Hall (Ithaca, New York) by pianist Assen Boyadjiev.
- Variations on Drowsy Maggie (2005-7), piano solo, ca. 6.5 minutes, premiered 11 June 2007 at the Oregon Bach Festival (Eugene, Oregon) by pianist Mihyun Kim.
- Margaret (2011), for soprano and piano.
- Harmonies poétiques et religieuses (2011), for mezzo-soprano, flute, clarinet, violin, cello, and piano resonance, three texts in French by Alphonse de Lamartine.
- Molly Bahn (2008), for choir SATB a cappella, anonymous folk text in English.
- Naye-e Sin (2008), for choir SATB a cappella w/optional Eurhythmic movement, ancient folk text (war chant) in Navajo.
- Phantasma (2010-11), for solo cello.
Jesse Jones: composer, conductor, mandolinist.