16-23 November 2014
In residence at Aldeburgh Music: Jerwood Opera Writing Programme, Suffolk, England
14 November 2014
NONAMENO, performed at Bates College by the Momenta String Quartet and the Bates College Gamelan
9 November 2014
Mandolin/Bass recital with Craig Butterfield, University of South Carolina School of Music (Bach & original compositions)
6 November 2014
Four Scenes (WORLD PREMIERE) performed by saxophonist Cliff Leaman & percussionist Scott Herring, University of South Carolina School of Music
18 October 2014
“…neither am I a bloodless angel” (EAST COAST PREMIERE) performed by cellist Jeff Zeigler & pianist David Riley at the Eastman School of Music, Kilbourn Hall, Rochester NY.
6 October 2014
Through the Veil performed by the University of South Carolina Wind Ensemble, Jamie Jordan, Jane Sheldon, & Sarah Brailey (amplified sopranos), conducted by Scott Weiss
28 September 2014
US Premiere of In Dulcet Tones as part of Onomatopoetic — Art Inspiring Art: Music Made Visible, a collaboration with the Trenholm Artists Guild — University of South Carolina School of Music, Recital Hall
7 September 2014
World Premiere of Trio, for Mandolin, Violin, & Contrabass, Jesse Jones, mandolin; Rebecca Hunter, violin; Craig Butterfield, bass — Cornelia Freeman Series, University of South Carolina School of music Recital Hall
4 September 2014
Jones announces winners of Onomatopoetic — Art Inspiring Art: Music Made Visible, a collaboration with the Trenholm Artists Guild — Certus Bank, Columbia, South Carolina
1 July — 21 July 2014
Jones in residence at Tanglewood as mandolinist for the Festival of Contemporary Music
6 July 2014
World Premiere of So Eden Sank to Griefin Seiji Ozawa Hall by Tanglewood Fellows, conducted by Karina Canellakis
24 April 2014
Jones awarded a reading with the New York Philharmonic under the auspices of the EarShot New Music Readings program of the American Composers Orchestra. Jones’s newest orchestral work, “…innumerable stars, scattered in clusters” will be read on June 3rd.
23 April 2014 (8pm)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Perelman Theater, Kimmel Center): the Juilliard String Quartet plays Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
10 April 2014
Jones awarded 2014 Guggenheim Fellowship for the creation of a new two-act opera, Martin Eden.
20 & 27 March 2014
Syracuse & Ithaca, New York: pianist Xak Bjerken gives world premiere of Jones’s solo piano piece, “Ephemera”
16 March 2014 (3pm)
Albuquerque, New Mexico: the Juilliard String Quartet plays Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
23 February 2014
Jones awarded Creative and Performing Arts Grant from the University of South Carolina (to partially fund the recording of an all-Jones CD with the Scharoun Ensemble Berlin)
21 February 2014
Eugene, Oregon: Jeff Zeigler & David Riley give world premiere of Jones’s “…neither am I a bloodless angel”
Jones receives Tanglewood Wind Commission
Thailand: violinist Rebecca Hunter & pianist Lynn Kompass give world premiere of In Dulcet Tones (Payap University, in Chiang Mai)
Juilliard String Quartet takes Jones’s “Whereof man cannot speak…” on tour through Denmark, Germany, & the Netherlands (10 performances in various venues, including Amsterdam’s Muziekgebouw)
21 November 2013 (8pm)
Alice Tully Hall: the Juilliard String Quartet plays Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
30 October 2013
El Paso, TX: the Juilliard String Quartet performs Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
26 – 28 October 2013
Carmel, San Francisco, Los Angeles, CA: the Juilliard String Quartet performs Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
13 October 2013 (8pm)
Louisville, KY: the Juilliard String Quartet performs Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
11 October 2013 (8pm)
Indianapolis, IN: the Juilliard String Quartet gives world premiere of Jones’s String Quartet No.3, “Whereof man cannot speak…”
31 August 2013
Jones begins Assistant Professorship at the University of South Carolina
September 2012 —August 2013
Jones in residency at the American Academy in Rome as Elliott Carter Rome Prize Fellow
29 May 2013
- Alter Ego—Villa Aurelia (Rome)—Harmoneis poétiques et religieuses, with Sharon Harms (soprano) and Jesse Jones (conductor) & Kenneth Meyer—Ricordanza & Sharon Harms—Margaret, Jesse Jones (piano)
26 May 2013
- Sharon Harms (soprano) & Kenneth Meyer (guitar)—American Academy in Rome—Los niños
17 May 2013
- Scharoun Ensemble Berlin—St. Matthäus-Kirche (Berlin, Germany)—ABRAXAS, Jesse Jones (conductor)
17 April 2013
- Kenneth Meyer—UNLV (Las Vegas, NV)—Ricordanza
13 April 2013
- Kenneth Meyer—Jan Hus Presbyterian Church (NY) as part of “Vision of Sound” series (Society of New Music)—Ricordanza
7 April 2013
- Kenneth Meyer—Hamilton College (Clinton, NY) as part of “Vision of Sound” series (Society of New Music)—Ricordanza
6 April 2013
- Kenneth Meyer—Hochstein School Auditorium (Rochester, NY) as part of “Vision of Sound” series (Society of New Music)—Ricordanza
1 April 2013
- Pulse Chamber Ensemble—Cutting Edge Concerts New Music Festival (Symphony Space, NY)—Unisono
30 March 2013
- Kenneth Meyer—Carrier Theater (Syracuse, NY) as part of “Vision of Sound” series (Society of New Music)—Ricordanza
9 March 2013
- Scharoun Ensemble Berlin—Villa Aurelia (Rome)—ABRAXAS (Jesse Jones conducting) & Bach Englische Suite Transcription & Snippet Variations
8 March 2013
- Scharoun Ensemble Berlin—Villa Aurelia (Rome) — Seesaws
18 November 2012
- Various performers—Villa Aurelia (Rome) as part of “Nuova Consonanza”—Nocturne & Night Music
22 October 2012
- Pulse Chamber Ensemble—Villa Aurelia (Rome) as part of “Nuovi spazi musicali”—Unisono
20 October 2012
- counter(induction—Washington Square Contemporary Music Society (Manhattan)—Snippet Variations
8 August 2012
- Open End Ensemble—Copenhagen (Denmark)—Four Bagatelles
1 August 2012
Jones is commissioned by the Juilliard String Quartet to write a 20-30 minute piece for their 2013-14 seasonRead More
Composer, conductor, and mandolinist Jesse Jones (b. 1978) is an American artist of wide-ranging tastes and influences. His music has been performed extensively across North America, Europe, and Asia. Jones has received numerous accolades as both a composer and performer, including a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Elliott Carter Rome Prize in Composition from the American Academy in Rome, a Juilliard String Quartet Commission, a Tanglewood Commission, a Barlow Commission, the Charles Ives Scholarship from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, an EarShot New Music Reading with the New York Philharmonic under Alan Gilbert, and a fellowship in Aldeburgh Music’s “Jerwood Opera Writing Programme.”Read More
- The lone and level sands (2010), for sinfonietta.
- For a Faded Mind (2009-10), for solo violin, piano & strings, commissioned by violinist Joseph Lin & conductor Chris Kim.
- Threshold (2012), for tenor & sinfonietta, text in English by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Through the Veil (2010-11), for 3 amplified sopranos and wind ensemble.
- Unisono (2011), for violin, clarinet & piano, commissioned by Xak Bjerken for Mayfest 2011.
- Snippet Variations (2009), for clarinet, violin, cello & piano, written for the Aspen Music Festival and School.
- Piano Quintet (2006-7), for violin, viola, cello, double-bass & piano.
- Nocturne (2008), piano solo, ca. 10 minutes, premiered 3 April 2009 in Barnes Hall (Ithaca, New York) by pianist Assen Boyadjiev.
- Variations on Drowsy Maggie (2005-7), piano solo, ca. 6.5 minutes, premiered 11 June 2007 at the Oregon Bach Festival (Eugene, Oregon) by pianist Mihyun Kim.
- Margaret (2011), for soprano and piano.
- Harmonies poétiques et religieuses (2011), for mezzo-soprano, flute, clarinet, violin, cello, and piano resonance, three texts in French by Alphonse de Lamartine.
- Molly Bahn (2008), for choir SATB a cappella, anonymous folk text in English.
- Naye-e Sin (2008), for choir SATB a cappella w/optional Eurhythmic movement, ancient folk text (war chant) in Navajo.
- Phantasma (2010-11), for solo cello.
Jesse Jones: composer, conductor, mandolinist.